January 14, 2019
Business Unit Leader, Building Services (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing & Fire Protection)
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE: 15-20 Years
Horner & Shifrin is seeking a Business Unit Leader to lead our MEP department.
- Responsible for successfully leading, setting the strategic direction and growing the firm as well as their individual business unit.
- Delivers profit and growth within the business unit.
- Oversees quality control / quality assurance processes within the business unit.
- Monitors trends and developments within the industry and proactively positions the firm to take advantage of opportunities.
- Cultivate a challenging and supportive climate within the business unit to foster a high level of employee satisfaction, performance, growth, and commitment.
- Directly and indirectly supervises employees in the MEP Business Unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training and developing employees; planning, assigning, delegating, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Regularly reviews workload projections and resources and recommend adjustment as necessary to fulfill commitments. Review invoices, cost data, schedules, and budgets with appropriate managers to ensure completion on a timely basis.
- Proactively coordinates with business development staff to maintain a proper level of backlog.
- Identify and convert new business opportunities to contract backlog.
- Direct relationship building, potential project development, proposal development and contracting between the Firm and clients.
- Coordinate and interface with sub-consultants, other internal office and external agencies, as appropriate.
- Perform project manager duties, primarily limited to major projects of high complexity.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor of Science in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, or Fire Protection Engineering; advanced degree preferred. 15-20 years of significant technical experience in public or private sector. Experience managing a team is required. Existing business development relationships with key staff in area municipalities is preferred.
SALARY RANGE: Salary will be commensurate with experience.