This project included the design and construction of 9 miles of new 4-lane freeway extending Route 364 from Mid Rivers Mall Drive to I-64 in St. Charles County. Bridges included concrete girder grade separations at six locations and dual steel bridges with variable skewed abutments at Route K as part of a single point urban interchange (SPUI). The remaining three bridge locations were one and two span creek crossings with concrete girders. Complex hydraulic analysis to size two bridges in a large floodplain was also required.
Horner & Shifrin designed 14 of 17 bridges on the project and 14 MSE walls within a 9 month period. Including the following bridges:
- Dual Bridges carrying Route 364 over Dardenne Creek
- Dual Bridges carrying Route 364 over Crooked Creek
- Dual Bridges carrying Route 364 over Tributary B
- Dual Bridges carrying Route 364 over Motherhead Road
- Dual Bridges carrying Route 364 over Hanley Road
- Single Bridge carrying Gutermuth Road over Route 364
- Dual Bridges as part of Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) at Route K
- Single Bridge for Route 94 Westbound Ramp
A hydraulic analysis was performed for Route 364 over Dardenne and Crooked Creeks which are located in 3000’ of FEMA Floodway. H&S was able to improve upon preliminary hydraulic designs and reduce the combined structure lengths from 825’ to 292’. This cost savings allowed additional work to be completed elsewhere on the project.
St. Louis, Missouri